[blind-democracy] Bernie Sanders Says He Wouldn't End Drone Program

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:56:01 -0400

Bernie Sanders Says He Wouldn't End Drone Program
http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/bernie_sanders_says_he_wouldnt_e
nd_drone_program_20150831/
Posted on Aug 31, 2015

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. (Robert F. Bukaty /
AP)
Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., would not put a stop to the United States'
lethal and controversial drone campaign if he entered the White House, the
presidential contender said in a television interview Sunday.
On ABC's "This Week With George Stephanopoulos," Sanders said, "I think we
have to use drones very, very selectively and effectively. That has not
always been the case." He added, "What you can argue is that there are times
and places where drone attacks have been effective. . There are times and
places where they have been absolutely countereffective and have caused more
problems than they have solved. When you kill innocent people, the end
result is that people in the region become anti-American who otherwise would
not have been."
From The Hill:
Sanders indicated that he would limit the use of drones so that they do not
end up killing innocent people abroad, but declined to say that he would end
the targeted killing campaign completely.
Sanders - whose bid for the White House has been gaining support in recent
weeks - has largely steered clear of national security and foreign policy
issues, instead preferring to discuss domestic policies.
On Sunday, he said the campaign is "going to spend more time on" foreign
policy in coming months, noting that the presidential election season is
still young.
"I promise you, we'll address it," he said.
President Obama's escalation of the drone campaign against suspected
terrorists in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and elsewhere has inflamed some of
his critics on the left. Critics accuse the White House of exacerbating
global extremism and of illegally killing Americans, including Anwar
al-Awlaki, who were never given a trial.
Read more here.
-Posted by Roisin Davis

http://www.truthdig.com/ http://www.truthdig.com/
[...]

From The Hill:
[...]
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/do_not_open_a_genius_educator_donald_tru
mp_and_the_spread_of_political_corr/
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/do_not_open_a_genius_educator_donald_tru
mp_and_the_spread_of_political_corr/
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/do_not_open_a_genius_educator_donald_tru
mp_and_the_spread_of_political_corr/
http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/video_russell_brand_tires_of_commenting
_cyclical_news_puts_trews_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/video_russell_brand_tires_of_commenting
_cyclical_news_puts_trews_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/video_russell_brand_tires_of_commenting
_cyclical_news_puts_trews_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/iceland_could_only_take_in_50_sy
rian_refugees_10000_icelanders_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/iceland_could_only_take_in_50_sy
rian_refugees_10000_icelanders_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/iceland_could_only_take_in_50_sy
rian_refugees_10000_icelanders_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/enter_the_bear_russia_planning_air_strik
es_islamic_state_syria_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/enter_the_bear_russia_planning_air_strik
es_islamic_state_syria_20150901/
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/enter_the_bear_russia_planning_air_strik
es_islamic_state_syria_20150901/ http://www.truthdig.com/
http://www.truthdig.com/
http://www.truthdig.com/about/http://www.truthdig.com/contact/http://www.tru
thdig.com/user_agreement/http://www.truthdig.com/privacy_policy/http://www.t
ruthdig.com/about/comment_policy/
C 2015 Truthdig, LLC. All rights reserved.
http://www.hopstudios.com/
http://support.truthdig.com/signup_page/subscribe
http://support.truthdig.com/signup_page/subscribe
http://www.facebook.com/truthdighttp://twitter.com/intent/follow?source=foll