[blind-democracy] Re: Arrest of 14-Year-Old Student for Making a Clock: The Fruits of Sustained Fear-

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:14:53 -0700

Yes. Point well taken, Miriam. My thought was to point out how the
system itself has impacted our behavior. But absolutely, we are
responsible for ourselves. And I've seen many examples of people who
altered their beliefs and changed their personalities, and taught
themselves to think, not to believe it can't happen.
Still, I do believe we are seeing the anger and violence that has been
hammered into our heads via TV, leisure-time reading, and the games we
play or watch.
Good and kind behavior bores people. But slice up a beautiful damsel
or blow up a bunch of Terrorists and folks blood starts pumping.
Stir in a little pinch of suspicion and a glob of fear, stir until
reaching the boiling point and then pull off the lid.

Carl Jarvis

On 9/18/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A few responses: I heard the piece about the debate on Democracy Now in
which it was pointed out that the debate moderator did not appropriately
follow up on many of the extreme statements and lies that were uttered by
the candidates. So the media is very complicit in allowing insanity to
reign. I also heard Rand Paul who sounded like the only sanity in the midst
of chaos, which shows how bad things have gotten. And although I certainly
agree that the public has been manipulated and lied to, let us also
consider
the possibility that each of us should, to some extent, be held responsible
for our own thoughts and behavior, that human nature contains some baser
elements, that this might be what Christians mean by original sin or Freud
meant by the id.

I had an experience yesterday which I used to have constantly when my
children attended the Westbury schools where the student body was
predominantly black. It is the evidence of the deep seated ongoing racism
and class divide in our country. A very sweet lady was driving me to do an
errand. She is a good person, active in her community, volunteers for her
church, is kind, but she is a white Long Island resident which, I suppose,
says it all. She was talking about what a lovely town Westbury is. Her
sister has lived here for many years, just a few blocks from my apartment
building. And then she said, very regretfully, "but the schools are so
bad".
And I answered reflexively, as I have been doing for 39 years, "No they're
not. Both my children attended them". She responded that her sister told
her that there was a lot of trouble and she asked when my kids attended,
and
I told her. And then I tried to explain something without explaining
specifically that people view everything that happens through a racist
lens.
My older daughter, the white biological one, came home from junior high one
day complaining that a black girl had beaten her up. She said the girl was
tough and mean. I asked what her name was and she told me. It happened that
I knew the girl's mother because we were working together on a PTA
committee
for the school board elections. So all I said to my daughter was, "Oh, I
know her mother". That's all I told this nice lady, that everything was
fine after that. Had I been a typical white parent, I would have panicked.
would have felt that I had to pull my daughter out of school for fear of
escalating racial conflict. I didn't do anything and my daughter actually
became friends with the girl. That rumor, that idea, that the schools were
bad, caused innumerable white parents to pull their kids out of our public
schools, turn them into segregated schools, and then lower the expectations
that many of the teachers had of the black children who remained. White
people don't depend on facts to make these kinds of judgments. They see the
color of people's skin, perhaps, listen to them talk, and write them off.
We
can talk about the reasons why this happens, about how the ruling class
divides in order to rule, economics, whatever, but it becomes real and
individual and every white person I know in this area, not South Carolina,
but Nassau County New York, has a deep, unconscious, ingrained prejudice.
And they can go on and on about training the police, as the people at Black
AGenda Report keep saying, training won't make a damn bit of difference
because it isn't going to reach the deep seated attitudes. And that's why
Donald Trump is so popular.