[blind-democracy] Re: 25, 50, and 75 Years Ago

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 19:50:02 -0500

I wasn't around for that fireside chat, but there is something about this retrospective that strikes me with a bit of shock. The one about twenty-five years ago seems more like current events than history to me. Egad! Age is creeping up on me!

On 12/31/2015 3:46 PM, Carl Jarvis wrote:

I was coming up on my 6th birthday when Roosevelt gave that Fireside
Chat. Naturally I do not recall what was said, but my dad never
missed a single message from FDR. At that time and under those
circumstances, Roosevelt's name was as revered as God Almighty.
Although dad was a Marxist, he supported the gains by unions and the
working class under Roosevelt.
I recall walking with my dad through Hooverville on the mud flats on
Puget Sound. I remember the many times stuffing envelopes at the
Labor Temple down on First Avenue. Dad was active in many
organizations and walked among many different people, but he always
preached Karl Marx as his guiding light.

Carl Jarvis
On 12/31/15, Roger Loran Bailey <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://themilitant.com/2016/8001/800143.html
The Militant (logo)

Vol. 80/No. 1 January 4, 2016

25, 50, and 75 Years Ago

January 11, 1991
As Washington counts down the days until its January 15 deadline for
Iraqi forces to be withdrawn from Kuwait, the massive and speedy
deployment of U.S. forces to the Mideast continues. On December 28,
16,000 U.S. sailors and marines left from several ports for battle
stations in the Arab-Persian Gulf.
The troops were aboard a 17-ship fleet led by two aircraft carriers,
each carrying about 90 warplanes. They will join four other carrier
groups already in or on their way to the Middle East, part of an overall
deployment involving 430,000 U.S. military personnel.

The U.S. State Department lists 54 countries that have made some kind of
military or monetary contribution to the imperialist war drive against
the Iraqi people.

January 3, 1966
DEC. 29 — Two Iranian youths sentenced to death by a military court
because of their opposition to the dictatorship of Shah Mohammed Riza
Pahlevi have had their sentences commuted to life in prison following an
international defense campaign sparked by Iranian students studying
abroad. The two men were among 12 youths sentenced Nov. 1.
The students — five of whom had returned to Iran after completing their
studies in Britain — were arrested last Spring. They were subject to
torture. It is common practice in Iran’s U. S.- backed regime for such
trials to be closed and for prisoners accused of political opposition to
disappear. But there are over 20,000 Iranian students abroad, mainly in
Western Europe and the U.S., and a campaign begun among them threw a
spotlight on the fate of their colleagues.

January 4, 1941
President Roosevelt’s “fireside chat” last Sunday night was the
equivalent of a military engagement of considerable magnitude.
Roosevelt, proponent of measures “short of war” to aid Britain, in this
speech went up almost to the final point short of an actual declaration
of war in aligning this country on the world war front.
Roosevelt dropped all diplomatic pretenses as far as the fundamental
issues were concerned. He served notice on the Axis that U.S.
imperialism regards itself as the prime object of the tri-powered Axis
alliance. He ruled out any question of a “negotiated” peace and in doing
so accepted on behalf of American imperialism the gage thrown down by
German imperialism, which has already indicated that it likewise regards
this war as an “all-or-nothing” affair.

Front page (for this issue) | Home | Text-version home