[blind-chess] Re: Tournaments? was: Ladder Tournament

  • From: "Mike Gieschen" <mgieschen924@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:18:41 -0400

Hi, Richard.

The ladder tournament I belong to is run by Jim Slagle in  the For the People
chess parlor chat room.
He has some very specific rules for his tournament, and he told me I could
share them with the Blind Chess group.
We can use his rules, as is, or as we wish.
The games in the FTP room are live - almost over the board.
So, some of the rules will not apply to correspondence chess.
If anyone would like to check out the For the People chat rooms they can be
found at:
http://www.for-the-people.com/homepage.php?promo=pat4.mp3

The games are played in the Chess Parlor room.
We have a meetting every Saturday morning at 11:30 am ET.

Here's Jim's ladder tournament rules.

FTP Chess Parlor Ladder Rules

1. A challenge can be made to either of the two players immediately above you
on the ladder.
Use the ftp-chess list, ftp-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your email, always put the names of both players in the subject.
For example, say Mary Snow Challenges John Coal.

If you or your opponent is not yet a member of our list, send all emails
directly to the opponent with a copy to me or the ftp-chess list.

When you challenge, propose two specific times and days that you can play.
Say whether you will be playing white or black.
Also, a player can challenge either of the two players immediately below him or
her.
In this case, the rules apply as if the challenge came from below to the higher
player.

2. Challengers take White for their first, third, fifth, and so on, challenges.
If the letter W follows your name on the ladder list, you get white when you
next challenge.
If the letter B follows a player's name on the ladder list,
he or she gets black when he or she next challenges.

3. Time control will be 30 moves in 60 minutes, and 60 minutes for an
additional 30 moves, et cetera.

If a timekeeper is not available, the player must make each move in less than
2.5 minutes.
Warn your opponent when thirty seconds remain.
Tell the opponent when time is up, and the opponent must move immediately.

4. A win or, while playing black, draw by the challenger
results in a swap of positions of the two players on the ladder.
For example, at the time of the challenge. If 3 challenges
1 and wins or, while playing black, draws, then 3 moves to
1, and 1 moves to 3.

5. A challenger who loses or, while playing white, draws,
moves down one rung, if possible.
In this case, the challenged player moves up one rung, if possible.
A challenger must challenge someone else before challenging the same person
again.

6. Declining a challenge is the same as a forfeit or loss.

The TD may remove from the ladder a player who has forfeited.

7. The challenged player must respond within 36 hours to avoid a forfeit.
In the subject of your email, put the names of both players in color order.
For example, write Scheduling the Mary Snow vs John Coal Game.
When the game is finally scheduled, write Final Schedule for the Mary Snow vs
John Coal Game.

Each player must reply within 36 hours to e-mail from the opponent.
1 week will be allowed to schedule and play a game after a challenge is made.
If a player is not available for more than a week after the challenge, the
opponent wins by forfeit.

8. Once a challenge has been made, other participants cannot challenge the
players until the game is finished.

9. Both players should keep score.
This means writing down the moves.
The winnerr or, if a draw, black should send the result to our list or TD.

10. A new participant starts at the bottom of the ladder.
If the Ladder Tournament Director, currently Jim Slagle, has given you
permission to join the ladder, just challenge one of the players at the bottom
two rungs of the ladder.
You will play white.

11. If you believe that your opponent has violated a rule, you must inform the
Td with e-mail evidence, et cetera.

12. Except for the rules given here, the rules for our Swiss tournaments apply.

13. The decision of the TD is final.

14. Have fun!  This is the most important rule.

Copyright 2009-2010.

Jjim Slagle