[blind-chess] Re: Ladder tournaments Re: Tournament definitions

  • From: "Hugh Pharis" <h62730mp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:00:51 -0400

Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder tournaments Re: Tournament definitions

  OK, I googled ladder tournament and can tell you the following:

  Players are arranged in a "ladder" initially by rating or some such.
  * As TD, I think you posted ratings early last week after this site came into
being, didn't you?
  ###
  Any player can challenge anyone one or two places above their current ranking.

  If the challenger wins, he moves above the vanquished player.  Otherwise
nobody changes places.
  * Now that's really intriguing! Just to think that some day I might be able
to knock off one of the higher ups and taking his place as "King of the
Mountain".  (grin)
  ###
  Eventually, the ladder sorts itself out into a natural ranking.

  A ladder tournament is on-going and really never ends.

  I really like this idea, but I need to work out some details like what if you
are challenged by someone and are too busy with other games to play--how long
can people stall?
  * As tournament director,couldn't you  use a time
  limit such as the other group is using--a 24 hour time limit based on local
times.
  ###
  When new players join the list, where do they go--at the bottom or
approximately where they belong?
  * Here again, using your rating scale now, couldn't the new person begin with
1400? Or if from the other group, adding 400 points to their  rating as shown
in that group?
  ###
  I can easily incorporate this into my TD software and report tournament
standings every couple of weeks.
  * Thanks again for all you're doing to make this a most interesting group of
chess enthusiasts.
  Hugh