[blind-chess] Game submissions, was: Chess articles

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 08:52:15 -0700

Hi Carol and all,

If you play a game with another member of this discussion list, the winner
should send me the result for updating your blind-chess rating.  White sends in
the score for a draw.  Please send them directly to me, not the list.

Your blind-chess rating is initially set by some existing rating, but no
attempt will be made to keep it in sync with that rating after the initial
value is set.  If you have no other rating at all, you start at 1400.  The
minimum start is also 1400.

The blind-chess discussion list uses the Elo method of rating (like the USCF
and FIDE) with the USCF constants.  The USCF rating is designed to average 1500
and the USBCA currently averages about 1100, so the conversion is USBCA + 400.
If you have a USCF rating I will just use that to start.  Since FIDE ratings
generally run about 100 less than USCF, if you have a FIDE rating I will just
add 100 to get your initial blind-chess rating.

As you probably already know, every game you play results in a change in your
rating depending on if you win, draw or lose.  For now I plan on using half the
change (rounded) for a friendly game and the full change for a tournament.  We
can change the cutting in half for friendly games if there is some general
consensus, but I think the idea behind that rule is to encourage
experimentation in friendly games.

A rating is not a score, however.  The purpose of a rating is to match players
more equally and to help predict who will probably win.  Keep in mind the
higher your rating, the more difficult your opponents will be.  Let me know if
you do not want to play or keep a rating.

How often would you like to see the ratings published?

If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Richard