[bksvol-discuss] Re: yikes, index has problems

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:25:37 -0700 (PDT)

Devorah,

I don't bother with the indexes for several reasons:
(1) I'm told that tabs and spaces are deleted by
bookshare; (2) I think, perhaps erroneously, that if
people use sound to search for a word it will be found
regardless of whether or not it's in a neat column;
and (3) even with my eyes I would be able to find it,
especially if I did it on the computer with a search.
I don't do much with bibliographies, either.

I do put my name and email address in the long
synopsis with an offer to get the book and provide a
corrected index or bibliography if the reader wants me
to. No one has taken me up on my offer, either because
I'm correct in my assumption that the index and biblio
are usable despite what they look like, or because no
one is reading the tome that was validated. Maybe it
was only of interest to the person who scanned it.

G.Cindy

--- Devorah  Greenstein <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm just finishing up carefully going through a 300
> plus page book with
> lots of endnotes. Everything has been fine, I've
> been working with a
> print copy of the book in front of me. But I just
> got to the index, the
> fourteen page index, two columns on each page. Some
> topics have
> subtopics, which are indented. What I have is a
> hodge-podge, with the
> scanner sometimes using hard returns, sometimes not,
> no spaces between
> page numbers, etc.
>

> I would appreciate expert advice about formatting
> the index. This is my
> first time with a complicated index. Should I use
> hard returns for each
> entry? Should I use tab stops for the subtopics?
>
> Do I need to put spaces between page numbers?
>

> Here is an example
>

> Experiments in Mental Suggestion
>
> (Vasiliev), 74 explicate order, 254-55 extrasensory
> perception (ESP):
> automated testing machines for, 68, 70
>
> ESP card tests, 83-89,162,
>
> 193,288,289 research in, 74, 76, 82 Extra-Sensory
> Perception (Rhine), 70
> Extrasensory Perception After Sixty Tears
>
> (Rhine), 72, 84-85 eyewitness testimony, 246
>

> Experiments in Mental Suggestion (Vasiliev), 74
>
> explicate order, 254-55
>
> extrasensory perception (ESP):
>
> automated testing machines for, 68, 70
>
> ESP card tests, 83-89,162,193,288,289
>
> research in, 74, 76, 82
>
> Extra-Sensory Perception (Rhine), 70 Extrasensory
> Perception After Sixty
> Tears
>
> (Rhine), 72, 84-85 eyewitness testimony, 246

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/