[bksvol-discuss] yikes, index has problems

  • From: "Devorah Greenstein" <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:52:23 -0400

I'm just finishing up carefully going through a 300 plus page book with
lots of endnotes. Everything has been fine, I've been working with a
print copy of the book in front of me. But I just got to the index, the
fourteen page index, two columns on each page. Some topics have
subtopics, which are indented. What I have is a hodge-podge, with the
scanner sometimes using hard returns, sometimes not, no spaces between
page numbers, etc.

I would appreciate expert advice about formatting the index. This is my
first time with a complicated index. Should I use hard returns for each
entry? Should I use tab stops for the subtopics?

Do I need to put spaces between page numbers?

Here is an example

Experiments in Mental Suggestion

(Vasiliev), 74 explicate order, 254-55 extrasensory perception (ESP):
automated testing machines for, 68, 70

ESP card tests, 83-89,162,

193,288,289 research in, 74, 76, 82 Extra-Sensory Perception (Rhine), 70
Extrasensory Perception After Sixty Tears

(Rhine), 72, 84-85 eyewitness testimony, 246