[bksvol-discuss] treasure chest submission

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:54:40 -0500

I just submitted
Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson
In Swedish novelist Olsson's somber debut, Veronika Bergman returns to Sweden
after a childhood following her diplomat father around the world (her mother
abandoned the family), and after publishing her first novel titled Single, One
Way, No Luggage. She rents a small house in a rural town to work on her
second, but in solitude finds herself seized by feverish dreams and paralyzed
by the "stillness" of the landscape and the memories of her recently dead
fiancé. Reclusive septuagenarian Astrid Mattson, thought by the village to be a
witch, takes an interest in Veronika, and the two strike up a friendship
based on loss. Against the backdrop of the changing seasons and their small,
plangent houses, the two women slowly tell each other their most closely guarded
secrets (which concern their mothers and lovers), and venture, tentatively, out
of the safety of their routines.

Enjoy.
Amber
Book blog: