[bksvol-discuss] Re: the tale of Genji

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:31:44 -0400

Amber,

If you got it from step one than the kurzweil file that I tried to upload was,
in fact, accepted and not rejected as I suspected as I got no response
whatsoever and one person thought that it was so long that bookshare just
figured there was no file and hung up.  I thought so too as one at least 2
occasions I got a notice of error in that the file was empty. I wrote saying
that it had 31.1 kb and they should try again and apparently they did.

I started to write to tell you that the most recent corrections to the rtf file
had not taken but they had.  The File I have  as [$$~~OBU] did take the most
recent corrections as I edited it and, before I closed it, went back to read
only mode.  This file gives me the choice and if it says read only it means it
is in edit mode and vice versa - the only way to tell is that in the real edit
mode there is a cursor and you can make corrections while in the read only mode
you get a highlight on words and cannot correct anything.  If this holds up,
then it would be the easiest to work on and I could continue as long as I have
openbook and you pick up from there.

Otherwise, if you want to work in Kurzweil you already have pages matching the
book with the Pages before "The Tale of Genji" being preliminary pages and the
page numbers on the top of the pages with the headings matching the page
numbers at the bottome so if you want to go to page70 it is the same.

My memory of the Kurzweil file was that what I scanned was what I saw and if I
had a view that was a 20 font the lines might vary but the page contents did
not. The one mistake I did make was to leave room for the pictures if they
scanned and I could not figure out how to correct (eliminate) the blank space .
 Now rtf solves that problem by ignoring it or, if something is there, you can
delete it and just delete the blank area line by line.

I don't remember the spelling being a major problem in Kurzweil though I did
have to double check the text on the Japanese names and I noticed in the rtf
some consistent mistakes which I can make note of in the next few days and send
you the list.  I do know that a ,- is or should invariably be a semicolon  and
a .- a colon.tc is often a g.  Regardless of which edition you choose it is
definitely a great read and if memory serves I had validated the preliminary
pages already which were, for me, the hardest and the ones with the most errors
in context.  The part I was stumped on were those pictures which did not scan
and which I could not quite get rid of.  If it were not for those I would
choose the Kurzie (?) as an eye and ear reader it is closest to my reading the
book myself. I have had problems with VRS and even now when I tried to download
it again it insisted I needed some hard discs.  It may be that this is a new
Daisy or that the Openbook doesn't work with it as I have not been able to
download any books from bookshare since I had Openbook unless I do it through
it. I need a reader these days which is why I need kurzie.

Anyhow.  Give the Kurzweil Genji a try and see if it works as I wanted it to
minus the blanks.  We could also find out if Bookshare is possibly going to
change their programing to accept the visual clues of written works meant for
the viewing reader and not just the blind reader.  Apparently bookshare did not
consider those of us who can use all types of written material but not the way
it comes.  I need bookshare and other ebooks because most of my reading has to
be done on my back and holding books is a problem as well as the size of the
print.  I tried reading Genji in book form but even if I could handle the
weight I could not manage the print. If I had to read this letter at the size
of the Genji print I would not  make it past the first paragraph.  If you would
like I can send you - directly or via step 1 [?] the rtf one I am working on.

As for where to start and verifying spelling.  I do not know how you would
verify transliterated or translated Japanese names or titles.  That  is the one
thing that has taken so much time and I sit with the pages in my lap.  Now that
I have gotten into a rhythm I hate to stop but I lose OpenBook in 11 days and
while I will try to continue I know I cannot do this in WordPerfect no matter
how well it works for other people or projects.  If I can work on it in rtf but
no other form or even html if it can be corrected I am willing to try or do you
know of another writable program I can use to validate but for Genji it would
be unfair to wait.  I'll gladly help any way I can begininng today by making
note of all the consistently incorrect  spellings and what they should be.
Likewise the punctuation.  One thing I can warn you of now in rtf and possibly
the Kurzei there is some confusion between I and 1 [which I probably would have
missed without the reader] and they are inconsistently confused.

Just the idea that all my scanning and validating work is not going to waste is
a real relief to me.  I never wanted the "credit" for the work beyond being
finally able to read the whole book and submitting The Diary of Lady Murasaki
only made me want it more.  And speaking of the Diary , that is one more
difference between the Kurzweil and rtf has italics,  Kurzweil gave me the
choice of all or none. Since the poetry is so important in our understanding of
the society and of the characters it helps to have it stand out  as something
separate and of which note should be taken. Tomes could be written about a
society which considered poetry so highly that someone who could not write good
poetry is a virtual outcast or essentially mute.

I am thrilled that someone with your experience is willing to take up my Genji
so he will be yours with my blessings.  Tell me how you want me to do this.

Love,

Amy