[bksvol-discuss] solved book problems and want to share solution

  • From: Charisma <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:21:35 -0600

This is player related but I think the discovery I made is important to all
NLS and Bookshare book users--of course, maybe you all knew this already and
I am slow to finding it out LOL--so I hope this is an acceptable off topic
post.

A couple weeks back I reported having a bunch of trouble with some books
shutting down my Stream; with the Stream confirming it was deleting books
but those same books still being present on the card when I looked at it on
the computer; and with books showing as loaded onto the SD card but not
changing the amount of space left on the card when viewing the SD card via
the Humanware Companion.

Yesterday I decided to just format the SD card and start fresh. After
formatting I began trying to load the card but when I went to the folder
where my NLS books were saved Humanware was only able to see five out of the
several dozen I have downloaded and unzipped. I viewed the folder via using
Windows Explorer and saw all several dozen. Back to viewing via Humanware I
was only able to see those same 5 NLS books. I closed Humanware and used
Windows Explorer to drag and drop some NLS books over, and the titles showed
up as being on the SD card, but when I disconnected and listened on the
Stream it said I only had one book in my Talking Books.

Well, looong story of investigation later it occurred to me that on July 30
I had to reset my computer to factory settings (basically F-disked) and then
I used my external storage to restore all files to my computer. Well, all of
the books I was having trouble with from Bookshare and NLS were the ones
that were restored from the external device; books that were successfully
working were ones I had downloaded and unzipped AFTER the F-disc and
restoration. Apparently either my external device is set to odd settings, or
NLS and Bookshare books do not survive the restoration process.

For example, the NLS Folder named Holy Bible was in one spot but the
contents saved to another spot. I discovered this when I erased the NLS Holy
Bible overall Folder only to discover the contents/individual Holy Bible
files loose in another spot. When I went to erase the content files as a
group, they could not erase because the computer said the overarching Holy
Bible folder was missing and asked if I'd like to restore it. When I did, I
could erase all the loose parts. Totally bizarre. So I am going back and
re-downloading all of the corrupted files and so far all is well!

I hope I've explained this in a helpful way in case anyone else can use this
information.

Charisma