[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning/ocr

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:27:09 -0600

Hi Chris,

I wish I had some ideas for you, but all of the tricks I use require vision and some expertise in graphics packages. I just OCRed a pamphlet that had black text against a dark blue background. I have no idea why the publisher made those color choices as the text was very difficult for me to discern on the original printed page even with vision. I was able to OCR it only after using a graphics package to alter the background color and brightness of each page's image.

Other times when that doesn't work I've sometimes been able to OCR pages after splitting the four underlying CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, and key, or black) color channels, and working with the resulting individual channel that results from that which has the best contrast. Doing that definitely requires an advanced graphics package, like GIMP or Photoshop or PaintShop Pro, as well as vision and some expertise in graphics.

If anyone has found a way to tackle this kind of difficult OCR without having to find someone with vision and a graphics package, I'd love to know how to do it because the graphics package routine I'm using isn't a good solution, it's just the best one I've found so far.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 12/20/2014 3:55 PM, Susan Lumpkin wrote:

Am wondering if green is a color it may not like? I know there are several colors which don’t recognize well but am not sure of which ones they are. Good luck and perhaps someone with vision who knows about colors and scanning will respond to us.

Susan