[bksvol-discuss] rethinking programming for wish list to cut down need for staff input

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:25:03 -0400

The case has sometimes been made by bookshare that some things must be taken care of by staff and not volunteers. We know there have been bottlenecks in the past when a lot of books needed to be approved and Gustavo was the only person authorized to do it.

Just out of curiosity, is the wish list such a thing? I mean, can some of that task be taken care of by a volunteer and then the result approved by a staff member perhaps weekly? Let me give you an example.
Let's start by suggesting that a little programming can be used here to recreate the format of the present wish list. Stay with me here. I know it costs a bit up front in terms of programming resources and paying for them on the part of bookshare as an organization. But it will save staff time. So will delligating any of the tasks I outline below to a volunteer where possible.

So the wish list will say:
This is the bookshare wish list. Here is where the bookshare users or possible new users can input a boo you wish were part of bookshare. Please be sure to check the collection first using the search box to make sure the book truly is needed. It may already be part of bookshare. Those of you who are not members, please remember you can always search for a book and can always add to this wish list.
(It is important to encourage nonusers to search the catalog in case finding the book will be the thing which tips them into joining. Also many nonusers of bookshare do not seem to realize they can search for a book on in the bookshare catalog.)

The person going to the bookshare wish list will have a input field called "my wish" where the book name can be input. The book name will then become part of a list called "the wish list".

Each book on the wish list will have a link below it saying "I want to make this wish come true". A volunteer can click on this link.

The link sends a email with the name of the book and the name of the volunteer to a mailbox bookshare maintains called "wish list books being scanned".The mailbox is used for this reason and no other.
The book title being scanned will appear on the wish list page under a listname such as "wishes being fulfilled and soon to come true".

I do not know if any of this process can legally be automated. For instance, would it be legal for a book to immediately appear on this list as soon as the volunteer took it? I know it is possible from a programming standpoint. That is it can be done with programming.

My point is that the books being scanned as wish list requests would appear here so people will be saved the work of scanning something somebody else is already working on.

As for updating the wish list, that would be done by its users the way we "update" the step 1 page by submitting books. Not making the task a staff task would free up staff to do other things.