[bksvol-discuss] released book(s)

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:52:15 -0800 (PST)

I think Kaitlyn is one of our list members, so maybe
she will tell us if she wants it back. True, Mike, it
was only 5 days from one time to another, but the last
one did say time elapsed.

Another problem with re-scanning sometimes, I think,
is the book itself--and who does the re-scan, i.e.,
with what equipment. The book I'm almost finished with
now is a paperback with yellowed pages. Unless one has
a really good scanner--and probably that's the
Kurzweil-- a recan might not come out any better.

I have another question about the K, brought about by
The Last Express, which I recently fixed and uploaded.
Does ranked spelling catch words that are spelled
correctly but are not the right words for the context,
e.g., "lap" instead of "lab" or "he" when the word
should be "the", or the ubiquitous (correct word?) rn
for m as morn for mom?  Also, does it catch words with
spaces in the middle where they should not be, e.g.,
no thing instead of nothing or con verse instead of
converse? If not, a 99.7 ranked spelling doesn't
necessarily mean excellent. The Whistling Hangman had
a lot of those errors, as did Cass Timberlane;
otherwise, the text had very few scannos.

I'll wait awhile to see if anyone takes Transit of
Venus to reject and rescan--or if Kaitlyn is still
working on it and takes it back. Otherwise I'll take
it; if it's too bad and Im not enjoying it, I'll
reject and anounce here so someone can re-scan if they
want.

In the meantime, by just providing a couple of missing
pages, or missing lines, I'm finding books that are so
interesting (so far, Mickey, I'm enjoying the
Lamplighter, though the philosophy professor's lexture
chapter wasn't so interesting) that I'm keeping the
books to read myself. Ijust picked up Mao's Last
Dancer which the librarian told me has received
excellent reviews, and which looks very readable, just
fromlooking at a few insdie pages.

So many books, so little time--I better start
exercising and eating better so I can live long enough
to read them all (smile).