[bksvol-discuss] Re: question for sighted scanners

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:22:40 -0500

Jill, when my daughter scans for me, she has Kurzweil read new pages as she
scans them. She watches the print as it goes by. Then, when she's finished
scanning, she pages through the book looking for obvious problems. My
daughter has become comfortable with all sorts of synthetic speech since she
heard it from infancy. So she can sometimes catch smaller scannos by hearing
the speech mangle a word. We like the Paul voice that comes with Kurzweil
since it's so clear and human. I have my daughter scan for me when she wants
to earn extra pocket money or iTunes credits. She wins, and Bookshare does
too. (grin)

I don't know how Carrie does her scans though. I doubt that she has speech
going. I think she uses FineReader 9 to scan. I also have discovered that
some of the New York Times books aren't scanned by Carrie at all because
Bookshare volunteers are so eager to read them that they beat Carrie to the
punch. So you may not be dealing with a sighted scanner either.

Monica Willyard