[bksvol-discuss] more on publisher quality

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:06:15 -0500

The following observations are based solely on my look at, "Act of War," by Dale Brown, one of the Publisher Quality books recently posted.

It would seem that the automated tool that is used to generate daisy files from the Publisher's files, needs a bit of retooling. As these are the Publisher's files, there are no hard page breaks, I would assume it's because their software would generate them at the time of printing. As it stands right now however, we are back in the situation where the daisy file is 1 long page. Now we've discussed the page break issue to death, back when accepting text files was done away with, and more recently when Baen books were the topic of debate, but Bookshare's policy has been to require page breaks. My question is why can't the conversion tool be set to generate a hard page break in accordance with the page length, margins, etc.? For that matter it shouldn't be much more difficult to generate page numbers as well.

Dave