[bksvol-discuss] Re: making a page to stop reading

  • From: Bud Schwab <budschwab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:50:45 -0800

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the reply. I have one meg of ram so I think that probably isn't the problem. For some reason I can't use dectalk; it crashes every time I use it and I've never been able to figure out why it does it. The neospeech seems to be the best sounding one next to dectalk, but I will try something else and see if that cures my problem. It baffles me that it is so intermittant. You'd think it would be all the way one way or the other all the time, but it's intermittant, only doing it occasionally.
Thanks again.

Bud

At 06:24 PM 2/16/2009, you wrote:
Hi Bud,

        I'll try to explain this simply.  I know that you prefer to use the
NeoSpeech voices. This is essentially your problem. This speech takes up
more ram (memory) than you have.  You have two options to solve your
problem.  First, you can, if your computer will take more memory, you can
buy and install more ram.  This may solve your problem. If you cannot do
this, either because you can't buy, or your computer will not take more
memory, your only option to solve this problem is to switch synthesizers to
something like eloquence.  Eloquence uses less of your computer's resources
and will allow you more freedom moving around in your document.

        What is happening is that your computer is working so hard to use
the speech that you like that it can't do anything else at the same time.
This includes stopping the speech in midread.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Mayrie