[bksvol-discuss] Re: kursweil and optimized scanning

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:21:08 -0500

Hi Evan,
I find I get best results with columns mode on, and partial columns set to
ignore. That cuts way down on the junk characters in my scans. I have to
admit that I use the optimize feature only as a desperate last resort.
Usually I can get settings with extremely great results with a little
tweaking on my own, and that's lots faster than optimize. But I've been
scanning since 1997 and never had optimize, so I kind of know what I need to
do given the results I'm getting. Occasionally I do find something that
insists on being an awful mess, and then I break out optimize and see if it
does any better than I was doing. When it does, it's usually because one of
the settings needs to be set to something really radical that I never would
have considered trying, such as a brightness of 40 or 75.
Maybe someone else will have some tips on the suspicious region feature; I
don't have it because I'm still using k1k version 9. I'm going to upgrade,
but I'm going to upgrade my whole computer so I'm going to wait till then.
Hth,
Kellie