[bksvol-discuss] Re: just submitted Terminal Mercy by Ed Stuart

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:34:01 -0400

Hi, Jamie. There are validaters who read every word, and there are those who spot check books. We usually take books that interest us so that we're reading for both pleasure and validation reasons. For me, it also depends on the submitter. For example, I know with books scanned by Carrie, Mayrie, Laura Ann, Evan, Tom, Katie, Shelley, and Dr. Cross, spot checking is usually okay because they generally proofread their work before submitting. I know this because I've validated lots of their books over the past year. You get to know a submitter's scanning style over time and begin to know which errors to look for based on who scanned the book. Some other submitters just submit raw scans, and when I take their books, I know I'll need to read the whole thing. If I do take their books, I know ahead of time that I'll be reading the entire book and only take books that I'd want to read anyway. I still value those books and am happy to work on them. They just take longer. Dr. Cross scans wonderful books that are usually over my head intellectually. He's a professor, so that's how it should be. If he submitted raw scans, I wouldn't do his books because I wouldn't want to wade through a 2000 page book on historical literature because I don't understand half of what I read in those books. Since his books are such clean scans, it's no trouble to spot check them, and I do learn some things as I go along. (smile) However, I took a copy of a book called God's Power At Work In You that was a raw scan because I wanted to read that book from cover to cover. Does that make sense? I'm using names as examples, not meaning that the submitters I've mentioned are the only good ones. I just have worked on these submitter's books a lot, so I have them to use as examples. So if you're reading this and I didn't mention your name, it's only because I haven't worked on your books and am trying really hard to be fair to everybody.

Monica Willyard

On Sunday 10/15/2006 12:54 PM, you wrote:
I am always interested when I read that others have
submitted a book and then someone wants to validate
that particular book. I'm guessing that when you
validate you must be reading the entire book?