[bksvol-discuss] Re: how to handle photo captions

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:56:14 -0600

Thanks Beverly. smile. Yeah, I'm probably best likened to a packrat when it comes to keeping those instructive emails. grin.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>

On 2/12/2016 5:40 PM, Beverly Cory wrote:

Perfect. Judy, you are a gem! I seem to remember now that you have been collecting the various instructive emails from the list. Worth your weight in gold.

On Feb 12, 2016, at 3:32 PM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Beverly,

The way you did it on the earlier book is correct. Madeleine posted back in November the way Bookshare now wants us to handle captions, and it's exactly what you're doing. I'm noticing myself that even some BSO books that are ready to proofread don't have the captions handled correctly. Anyways, here's what Madeleine said in that email to the list regarding captions:

"Rather than placing the entire thing in square brackets, just place the word caption in square brackets. This is because the caption text comes from the author/publisher and not from us."

Regarding the italics and bolding of the caption, keep the bolding and italics for the caption that are in the original book, like you're doing, if you can. A lot of times a scan or an OCR program or an individual scanner's text editing software will lose those, but if it can be retained it should be.

I hope that helps! smile.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 2/12/2016 4:04 PM, Beverly Cory wrote:
I am proofreading a BSO (with the printed book at hand) that has photos on nearly every page, most of them with captions (in mixed bold and italic font).:

After inserting the bracketed [image removed] or [photo removed], I’m unclear on how to handle the caption.

In an earlier book I proofed, I inserted [caption] in brackets before the caption text, so it looked like this:

[photo removed]
[caption] */Sharing chew toys/*: /Branches are suitable for both guinea pigs and rabbits/.

No one in-house told me that approach was wrong, but I’m thinking it might have been, because….

Although the BSO scan failed to capture many of the captions (and I have been restoring them), the few that DO appear have the entire caption in brackets, like this, with no bold or italics:

[caption: Sharing chew toys: Branches are suitable for both guinea pigs and rabbits.]

So I am wondering about correct placement of the brackets, and also about whether to retain the bold and italic type from the original book in the caption (the original BSO scan did not).

Any Voice of Experience out there? I’m not finding an answer in the online proofreading tips.

Beverly