[bksvol-discuss] Re: formatting print for children's books and ALL books

  • From: "Liz Halperin" <lexieacct@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:43:48 -0700

OK, I formally DELURK. Liz Halperin here, who comes and goes on this list.
Been lurking awhile and hope to mostly keep my mouth shut due to time. Over
100 posts per day from here! Many I don't even read.

About using a larger font for children's books. I can't figure out how it
will make any difference as long as you use the size difference for
headings. I am low vision/very hard of hearing and use VERY large print and
braille, no audio whatsoever. Because of this, I've been tracking the daisy
XML files and catching bugs, also braille. The bugs have already been fixed
or on the list to be done. I proofread visually in HUGE size.

If you start with a larger font on the proof, say 16, then up it to 20 on
the headings, *it won't make any difference.* We've turned in with base
fonts in size 10 and 12, no difference. Turned in with Times New Roman, a
serifed (curlicued) font, that's difficult for me to read, especially the
italics form. I switch, proof, and submit in Arial (sans serif--no
curlicues, the most common font with low vision people) and no difference.
The conversion tool always turns out the same thing.

If you are listening (NOT as a proofer, just a regular member reader), you
probably don't care what is the specific font and size except to maneuver
around headings. If you are reading braille (all my entertainment reading)
it doesn't make any difference at all on a notetaker. On PC with JAWS or
WindowEyes and braille display, you can turn on "all attributes" and find
out, but why bother?

In XML, which can be opened and used for large print reading, it comes up as
a standardized smallish font, sans serif, then the large print reader can
play with it: actual PC settings changes, ZoomText, web-based changes, or
reading through Kurzweil or OpenBook to get preferred font, size, and color
combos, or other methods.

So.... End point: as someone who has looked closely at the XML files (and
seen those italics that run together, leading to braille italics that run
together, and reported all this to engineering for investigation, and yup,
were bugs to be fixed), I honestly don't see the point in enlarging the font
of children's books. Just get those 4 point differences in headings for the
audio and XML folks.

Liz, who is still slowly doing volunteer books in addition to being a paid
sub-contractor--and today donated those volunteer credits when Pavi gets to
it

Liz Halperin and guide dog Aziza
Portland, OR
lizzers@xxxxxxxxxxx