[bksvol-discuss] Re: final statement about block quotes

  • From: "Devorah Greenstein" <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:35:02 -0400

I believe that the more consistency we have, the better our product will
be.

I wonder, G. Cindy, if these questions that arise are because we are
sighted volunteers, I wonder in part, if Booksharians are used to screen
reader conventions  and/or brailled book conventions that don't really
need to be described or explained because they are so, well, ordinary
and accepted. Then along come us sighted volunteers and we don't know
the conventions.

Like I didn't know a friend of mine can turn off the punctuation when
she reads her e-mail so no matter how many exclamation marks I put after
a word, it doesn't make a difference to her. So now I spell out the
exclamation mark (which probably bothers her <laugh>) but it is my
sighted convention to use exclamation marks. I don't even notice it when
I type, sometimes... and lots of ellipses too. I'm learning stuff all
the time!! (that was 2 exclamation marks you people who turn off your
punctuation.)

So I want to thank y'all Booksharians who are patient enough to explain
explicitly what to do in all these situations. Ann and Bob and Mayrie
and Amber and E. and Cindy Lou and and and everybody else whose
individual names I am beginning to know.

Thanks as always,
Devorah