[bksvol-discuss] Re: e: Re: use of the f word in ancient times sorry I have to use a variation heer

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:56:44 -0400

I would not call the 16th C. ancient times but Hugh Rawson's  Wicked Words
cites the use of fukkit as defined by the OED in the 1972  supplement [not in
the main vol. F] by William Dunbar in his poem "Ane Brash of Wowing" written
sometime prior to 1503. The OED of '72 defines the term fuk and variations -
including the more modern spelling - as a naval term not referring to coition
in any sense. Later in the 16th century various forms of the f word do appear
in its modern usage.

I cannot get to it for a few weeks, probably, but I will be scanning the Rawson
book as soon as I can get to it,  after a few volumes of Bester and the last
Snopes.  Sorry ,  that is as fast as I can go.

Amy
omsm