[bksvol-discuss] copyrights and ISBN numbers

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting question-- I suspect it's the Library of
Congress--or maybe it's the publisher.

Stop:  As I started to answer, I thought---Google!!

I was close in my guess. Below my signature is  the
URL to the site, and the first part of the explanation
that answers the first of your questions. It's a long
article, so I won't paste the rest of it here.

To the second part of your question, I's say "maybe."
Putting an ISBN number into google will get you to
various sites that have the book. Some, like Amazon
and Barnes & Noble, will, if the publisher has
permitted it, allow you to see the copyright page
and/or other pages. Remember, though,  older books
don't have ISBN numbers.  I forget when they came into
being, but I think it was only a couple of decades
ago.

Also, I think it can sometimes take a while for the
copyright to get into the copyright office. I notice
when I looked up the book for Tina that the book was
created in 1997, published in Dec. 1998 and registered
in Feb. 1999. Admittedly, that's only two months, but
I think sometimes it can take longer. I've also found
books that have never been listed in the copyright
office.

Cindy

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs