[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bookshare-discuss] 38 new books for submittors or to request on wish list

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:06:38 -0600

I would love to validate the book "And Miles to Go," #22 from the list, if
someone does take it and scan it.

I've read it, and this book tells the story of how different underground
resistance movements spirited away the Polish government's most valuable
bloodlines of horses, including Witez II, during World War II, to preserve what
Poles felt was an irreplaceable part of Poland's national heritage.  These
horses were considered a national treasure.  The Axis countries actually fought
amongst themselves as to who would get the different horses after Poland was
defeated.  It's a fascinating story, not just about the horse who is one of the
most influential Arabian horse sires in American lines of Arabian horses, but
also about the people who were committed to saving these animals.

Judy s.

22. And Miles to go, the biography of a great Arabian Horse, Witez Iiby Linel
Smith, hardcover, 230 pages, contains many foreign words with a pronunciation
guide at the end which might discourage some of you, I just wanted to give you
as much info as I can about the book. This horse suffered hardships during WWII
and then came to the United States and founded a dynasty. Well researched.