[bksvol-discuss] bad font

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:54:12 -0500

Last night I was scanning a requested book, and I couldn't figure out why the
scanning was so horrible. I've had difficult scans before, but this was by far
the worst scan I've gotten.
I optimized the settings at least three times, all of which resulted with
different settings, and none of them did well at all. Finally when I got to the
end of the book there was a note that specifically addresses the font. I've
never heard of such a thing, but here's what it said

ABOUT THE TYPE

This book was set in Requiem, a typeface designed by the Hoefler Type Foundry.
It is a modern typeface inspired by inscriptional capitals in Ludovico
Vicentino degli Arrighi's 1523 writing manual, ll modo de temperare lepenne. An
original lowercase, a set of figures, and an italic in the "chancery" style
that Arrighi helped popularize were created to make this adaptation of a
classical design into a complete font family.