[bksvol-discuss] Re: adding and protecting page breaks.

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:02:54 -0600

Hi Jackie!

Welcome to the volunteer community.

If the headers are left in the book, and the page breaks are there, then you can tell where each new page begins. You want to look for the hard page breaks, which will say "page break" if you are using a screen reader and MS Word, or I think both of the special OCR packages OpenBook and Kurzweil will just announce the new page.

A soft page break will just announce a number if you are using a screen reader. They are just to tell the printer to go onto a new page. How to avoid the soft page breaks if you find them in a book you're proofing is to go to page layout if you are in MS Word and go to the paper tab and make the page as long as possible.

If the page breaks are missing and there are no headers, then a proofreader needs to have a hard copy of the book to work from or someone who can check for you if you can't access the hard copy yourself.

Debby

At 02:34 PM 2/4/2012, Ixchel Larrauri wrote
Thank you so much.
If I don't have a hard copy of the book to put the page numbers, and
make sure page breaks are right, I have to get one, right?
Jackie

--

du ut de

                mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
--
The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.
Proverbs 15:2 NKJV

"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue
; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred.
Job 6:24 NKJV