[bksvol-discuss] Re: a question about page breaks (i am sorry it has been long time)

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:50:26 -0700

It sounds as though there are eleven pages of preliminary material before the
first Arabic page, page 1, although it isn't numbered.  (You should put a
number 1 there to protect the Prologue title.)  The line below where it says
page 13 contains the first page number, which is 2, followed by the header for
that page, which is the author.  The line below where it says page 14 contains
the header, which in this case is the title, followed by Arabic page number 3.
If you go up to the top of the file, you should hear several pages including
the title page, a copyright page with the ISBN number, publisher's address and
so on, and other pages with such things as Dedication, and probably a couple of
blank pages, if the number of page breaks accurately reflects the actual number
of preliminary pages.

Also, you will want to get rid of any tabs in the file by replacing them with
spaces, as the Bookshare software removes them but doesn't put spaces in their
place.  Yes these tabs are in the header, so they may be removed by the
stripper along with the header, or they may not; I don't know.  But there may
be other tabs which will make things ugly if the Bookshare processing gets hold
of them, such as in a Table of Contents, or perhaps elsewhere.

You should do one of two things with the headers, in this case, the title on
odd-numbered pages and the author on even-numbered pages:  You should either
make sure they are all the same - sometimes scanners garble them - so that the
automated header stripper can remove them all, or you should remove them
yourself as you read along.

There is a lot of stuff to remember to get a book up to topnotch quality - too
much imho to expect from most people, but that's the way it is.  This is not an
exhaustive list.