[bksvol-discuss] Re: Your Message on Copyright and ISBN

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerald Hovas <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 00:42:35 -0700 (PDT)

I did it again, didn't I.  I get so involved in
writing the body of the message that I forget to put
what I said I was going to. I should paste it first
and then write my message. I have learned to attach
attachments first before writing messages about
them--this will be the next step.

Thank you Gerald, for callint it to my attention --and
in such a delicate way, too --smile.

Here is the URL and the first paragraphs explaining
the International ISBN organization and assignments of
numbers. I'm going to go back and read the rest of it
to see  when it started and why.

CIndy

http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/international/administration.asp

Administration of the ISBN System

The administration of the ISBN system is carried out
on three levels: international, group and publisher
levels.

*       International Administration

The international administration and co-ordination of
the ISBN system is done through the:

INTERNATIONAL STANDARD BOOK NUMBER AGENCY

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin

Preussischer Kulturbesitz

D-10772 Berlin, GERMANY

Tel: (+49 30) 266 23 38
Fax: (+49 30) 266 28 14, 266 23 78
Tx:  183 160 staab d
E=Mail: ISBN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The International ISBN Agency is assisted by an
advisory panel consisting of representatives from the
International Organization for Standardization (ISO),
the International Publishers Association (IPA), the
International Federation of Library Associations
(IFLA), and individual ISBN group agencies.

The principal functions of the International ISBN
Agency are:
*       To promote and supervise the world-wide use of the
ISBN system.
*       To approve the definition and structure of group
agencies.
*       To advise on the establishment and functioning of
group agencies.
*       To allocate range identifiers to group agencies.
*       To advise group agencies on the allocation of
international publisher identifiers.

http://mail.yahoo.com