[bksvol-discuss] White Shark

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:56:43 -0400

I just submitted White Shark by Peter Benchley to the checkout list if any of you want to take it. But I noticed something. This is the first time I have submitted anything since the new categories went into effect and I have neglected to check them out prior to this. I notice that some categories are now already checked and I suppose that is how the publisher categorized the book and was acquired from the ISBN. I found that I could uncheck these categories if I wanted to, but I left them. One of the prechecked categories for this one was mystery and thrillers. I don't think I would have categorized it that way myself, but some thought allowed me to because it did technically qualify. A category that I added was horror. I think it qualifies as horror much more than it qualifies as a mystery. Now, quite some time back we were told that when the new categories were instituted science fiction and fantasy would be split. Well, this book is certainly science fiction even if the publisher did not categorize it that way, but it most certainly and decidedly is not fantasy. When I got to the science fiction check box I saw that the two most unrelated of all genres were still combined. I really hated to categorize this book under fantasy because it is not fantasy by any means at all, but if I wanted to categorize it as science fiction I had to. I really hate this lumping together of such two distinct genres.