[bksvol-discuss] Re: Urban Fantasy

  • From: Shayla Key Parker <shaylakey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 16:59:26 -0500

Urban fantasy is a modern subgenre, named to separate it from your standard "swords and sorcery" fantasy. It's mostly about setting -- unlike classic fantasy like Lord of the Rings, which use completely made up worlds, or alternate histories, urban fantasy is usually set in a world that could be ours. Except for the magic, anyway. So you get wizard private detectives in modern Chicago, or a witch working supernatural security in the midwest. A lot of urban fantasy can get very scientific, too, blending technology and magic.

Part of the reason it's becoming so popular, I think, is that so much swords and sorcery fantasy is set in made up realms that look a lot like medeival Europe. So, you know, things are not so great for women, gay people, racial minorities, or peasants. Part of the original urban fantasy movement was a reaction to this, and an attempt to make fantasy work in settings where there's more freedom for women protagonists, etc.

That, and it's just fun.

At 04:38 PM 11/1/2006, you wrote:
I'm not sure what "urban fantasy" is, but the phrase
reminded me of a wonderful movie I saw years ago with
an excellent cast, so I looked it up up IMDB. The
movie was released in 1981 and was based on a novel by
Whitley Streiber, who is, I believe, a well-known
horror writer. The movie is listed as horror'thriller,
but it's more than that--it has a moral. As I recall,
it has to do with ecology and society--and Indian
legends.

The movie and book are entitled Wolfen. I see the book
is  not in the collection, nor are any of Streiber's
books.

For anyone interested, I've pasted a fan's review
IMDB.com that gives a good idea of the movie.

Cindy

Author: omegaknight_d from United States

"They can hear a cloud pass overhead, the rhythm of
your blood. They can track you by yesterday's shadow.
And they can tear the scream from your throat. There
is no defense." I love it when you can tell a movie is
gonna be great just from it's tagline. Wolfen is one
of the most thoroughly underrated films of the 80's if
not film history. From moment one with it's dreamy,
monochromatic, animalistic tracking shots Wolfen sets
itself up as a different kind of werewolf film. With
Wolfen you get three movies in one a Dirty
Harry-esquire cop investigation movie with Albert
Finney and Gregory Harrison turning in fine
performances as the ones investigating. A graphically
intense horror film, with a menacingly sadistic,
creepily cool performance from Edward James Olmos and
of course the barely there "Wolfen" creatures. Lastly
you get a statement on environmental issues and the
hierarchy of society. Tom Noonan in his pre-Manhunter
existence gives the movie a touch of class as an
animal lover who wants to study the "Wolfen." If
you're expecting a comedic werewolf movie such as "The
Howling" or "An American Werewolf in London" this film
isn't for you. But if you want a great suspense
mystery, with dazzling visuals and one of the greatest
endings in history check Wolfen out.