[bksvol-discuss] Re: Unzipping .brf files

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:10:01 -0500

Shannon,

What program are you using to unzip the books?
If it is just the standard Windows unzip, are you accessing the unzip program by clicking on the zip file, or are you high-liting the file and
then going through the file menu [Alt-F] and selecting [Extract All ...]?

I just tried a zipped brf file, and since it sounds like you are using the standard Windows zip program, I did as well. I unzipped it both by whacking enter on the file name, and by clicking Extract All from the file menu, but the later method seems more straight forward to me so I'll go through those steps. Whenever I download files I initially put them at the root directory of my C drive and then move them from there, as it just makes it easier to find them.
Ok, from Windows Explorer move to the zip file.
Hit the Alt key to bring up the file menu, and move down to Extract All ...
Whack enter on that
You should be presented with the Extraction Wizard Title Screen, and Next should be high-lited, so just hit the space-bar,
Now it should prompt with a save location.
In my case, it was a folder with the books name, at the root level of the C Drive. e.g. C:\Who Was King Tut As it is an edit field, you can change it, leave it, tab to browse, click to enter the password or next.
I changed the C: to a D: and added \text
e.g. D:\text\Who Was King Tut
I then clicked Next and the system prompts for a password.
Enter your Bookshare password and click OK
Now a check box should show up for [Show extracted files?] and it is checked by default. If you leave it checked, and click finish, it will open another Windows Explorer window and deposit you in this newly created folder containing your brf file. If you uncheck it and click finish, the extract wizard closes and you find yourself back at the high-lited zip file in the original instance of Windows Explorer.

At risk of sounding like a broken record, I like 7Zip better, as I don't like wizards.

If you already were aware of all this, sorry for the repetition.

Dave

At 12:23 PM 1/17/2009, you wrote:
Hi, all.

I have downloaded several .brf files in the new zip format. I can not get them to open properly though. I unzip them, enter the password, and they show up on my computer, but I can't save them anywhere else, so I can transfer them to the book courier. Does anyone have any idea why this is, and how to fix it?

Shannon
Women will starve in silence until new stories are created which confer on them the power of naming themselves.