[bksvol-discuss] Re: The book for the Christian Book Clug, Second Opinion -- IMPORTANT

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:42:20 -0800 (PST)

The controversy is that I already scanned the missing pages and cleaned up the
other errors and submitted the book and it was accepted into the collection. I
am sorry if I went against protocol but I just wanted to get the best possible
file since people are presently reading the book for the Christian Book Club.
Whoever validated the old file did a great job and, as  I said before, the
errors I found in the file would have not been detected if I had not had the
print  copy of the book in front of me. Isn't it our job as volunteers to get
the best possible quality of books so that people who read them will have an
enjoyable experience?

  What happened is that I told Carrie that the book was incomplete. As a
result, she took it out of the collection. I corrected the errors on the
original scan and got it back into the collection by Monday so that people who
are presently reading it could get a better copy of it. That's All!

  I have had many of my books rejected for being incomplete and a few of my
books that I was validating taken from me by another validator when my time
expired and I forgot to renew the book or download the it, again. I know how
frustrating and madning it feels to work hard on a book and then have something
wrong with it and then taken away from you after you have spent countless hours
working on it and thought that you had done a good job. However, think about
the present situation as a combined effort instead of as a failure for a
validator. I made improvements on the great validation already present.

  Since the file was no longer in the collection, Carrie allowed me to use the
present scan and make corrections to it without having to submit it as a BSO
file. Carrie validated the book quickly in order to make it available to those
people in the Christian Book Club who want to or who are already in the process
of reading it. In turn, I wanted you to know that a new, corrected version of
the file was in the collection. My intention was not to criticise the initial
validator or scanner. If I have hurt anyone's feelings, I am sorry. I never
meant to suggest that a totally blind person could not validate a book.
However, in this case, the validator needed to have access to a print copy,
perhaps by using the Opticon, if she or he was going to be able to pick up and
correct all the errors since most of the errors were do to the fact that the
bottom lines on the pages were not present on the file.

Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi all,

Well, well, we're getting somewhere. We aren't going too awfully fast,
but we're getting somewhere. Barbara, which pages are these, please
give exact page numbers. If you can do that, that'd be super. Even
better, if you have a scanner, might you be able to scan those pages?

Ann P.