[bksvol-discuss] The Long Synopsis (was Re: Identifying and Flagging Adult Content)

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:41:04 -0400

Hi, Max. The short synopsis is a sentence giving a sort of teaser about a book. The long synopsis gives the submitter or validater a chance to tell people what the book is about. It's best to have both a good short and long synopsis because the short synopsis lets someone know they might like to click on the link to find out more about a book. The long synopsis helps a person know more about the book and whether or not it's worth downloading and reading. I personally feel annoyed when I see books approved with no synopsis or one that just says "mystery" or "modern romance." Sighted people don't go through a library or bookstore and just grab up books without finding out what they're about, and I don't think our readers want to do that either. I do recognize that writing a synopsis is optional on the Bookshare form and that this is just one of my personal pet peeves. I have this dream that someday Bookshare will allow me or someone else to go in and fix the books that have no synopsis, especially with the classic mysteries. (sigh)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.