[bksvol-discuss] Re: Identifying and Flagging Adult Content

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:54:38 -0400

Shelley, I believe you and am just disgusted by what you're saying. I can live with the book being present in high school libraries. Making it required reading seems so odd to me though. There are literally hundreds of examples of fine American literature for teenagers to study without requiring them to read such extreme profanity. I am surprised that some of the parents do not object, and I wonder if they are aware of what their children are being required to read. I am feeling very glad I don't allow my daughter to go to public school. I just wish I didn't have to support it with my tax dollars.

Monica Willyard

At 04:50 PM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
One of my students, monica, just read Catcher in the Rye, in her eighth
grade literature class.  I was forced to read it, smile as a Junior as part
of American Literature.

Smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden