[bksvol-discuss] Re: Spine Cracking?

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 11:03:36 -0600

I have decided that 2-page mode costs me more time doing corrections than scanning in 1-page mode. It can vary with the book itself, and the margins. But by and large I am pretty much now scanning in single page recognition. I do frequently make adjustments in the other settings after closely scrutinizing the first 10 or 20 pages. Once those adjustments are made, and I feel confident, the book usually goes on to prove to be free of too many scanning errors.

On the issue of the books with very small margins, the center spine issue is a bugger. And I have found that after experimentation mentioned above, I will find the place to hold the book's spine near the edge of the glass and just hold it there firmly during the entire time of that page's scan. Laying it on the scanner and letting go during the scan, often will require some corrections. The book I am working on right now has this issue, so I thought I would just chime in my experience. Hope that helps.

I was told by a university disability services office once that they always break the spine on the book and run them through the feeder. Sounds fine. But like the earlier volunteer posted, I cannot bring myself to do that, except when as he says that the book is in such bad shape that it is probably worthless anyhow.

Thanks.
Rik