[bksvol-discuss] Re: Security Strips in Books

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:54:14 -0700 (PDT)

We used t use those in our school library, and some
public libraries also do. They should be as close to
the binding as possible, preferable so as to be
invisible so people cannot remove them. I'm not sure
hwo they're affixed, but when we did it it was by
hand,  and they're very sticky, so sometimes people
didn't get them exactly in the right place. I've seen
a couple on books.

As you may have guessed, they're a security feature.
If you buy the book in the store, or take it from a
library that uses that feature, the book
isdemagnetized when you check it out. Otherwise it
will set off an alarm as you walk through whatever you
walk through to get to the door.