[bksvol-discuss] Science Fiction Submission

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 22:38:36 -0400

Hello Folks,

I just put up Avogadro Corp.: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears by
William Hertling. It has been read through, completely spell checked, all page
numbers and page breaks accounted for and all fonts adjusted.

Long Synopsis:

[from the back cover]

David Ryan is the designer of ELOPe, an email language optimization program,
that if successful, will make his career. But when the project is suddenly in
danger of being canceled, David embeds a hidden directive in the software
accidentally creating a runaway artificial intelligence.

David and his team are initially thrilled when the project is allocated extra
servers and programmers. But excitement turns to fear as the team realizes that
they are being manipulated by an A.I. who is redirecting corporate funds,
reassigning personnel, and arming itself in pursuit of its own agenda.

This is a first novel, and it reads like one, but it is a very good first
novel. A bit jargony, so if you get bored or intimidated hearing about
processor cycles, performance optimization, algorithms and such, this one may
not be for you. But if not, then I think you'll enjoy this one, and get a bit
of a chill out of it as well. With 42 customer reviews on Amazon, it has a
rating of 4.6 stars. This is the first of a trilogy. The second one, A.I.
Apocalypse, just came out and its on its way to me. I hope to have it up before
the end of June.

Evan