[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning Books With kurzweil 1000

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kellytalk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 20:08:39 -0600

I had to confront the same question a few weeks ago. In late 2013, I
said goodbye to my Pentium 4 machine running windows XP. I had been
using one or another Pentium 4 machine since 2004. I switched to a
Windows 8.1 computer with an Intel Haswell 4770 i7 chip, the fastest
on the market at the time. Unfortunately, neither the Epson 1640
scanner nor OpenBook 6 could run on Windows 8. Upgrading to OpenBook
seemed pointless. The software had not been updated since 2010 and the
scanning engines since 2008. When I got around to thinking about a
scanning solution this past summer, I learned that K1000 would be
upgraded soon. I decided to wait. Earlier this month, version 14 of
K1000 was released. I have ordered this program and expect to receive
it shortly. I have submitted nothing in the past year, waiting for my
new software and scanner. The old software used FineReader 6, which
has an unacceptable error rate when compared to modern versions of OCR
software.

PlusTek has the best flatbed scanners in the world for the home and
small office user. The company has two kinds of scanners that would be
of interest to Bookshare volunteers. The scanners support either the
A3 or A4 international paper standard.  The A4 size is slightly larger
than 8 X 11.5-paper size found in the United States. A3 is slightly
smaller than 12 X 17 inches. This size is similar to that of tabloid
publications, such as some big city newspapers.  The OpticBook line is
A4 scanners and OpticPro is the A3 scanners. The 3600, 3800, and 4800
are all A4 scanners. The 4800 has better specifications than the 3800.
From what I understand, the 3600 is no longer being shipped by the
company. Considering that we are interested in scanning printed text
into machine-readable characters, the 3800 would be a good choice for
an A4 scanner. In my view, the 4800 would work, but since I had no
intention of scanning images or photographs, the higher detail to the
scans would not help my basic scanning needs.

Despite the glowing recommendations about the 3800 scanner over the
years from many Bookshare volunteers, I decided to buy a Plustek
OpticPro A320. I anticipate this scanner has the quality of the 3800
but a bigger scanning surface to accommodate large books and for
occasional two-page scanning.   If you want a flatbed scanner that is
big enough to scan any book regardless of size, then the A320 is your
scanner. Many books will be able to be scanned with two open pages. I
ran across a few books where my Epson 1640 seemed slightly too small.
I vowed to myself not to let that happen again. It certainly won’t
with the Plustek A320. It retails for about $470.  For a quality
scanner like this, the price was well worth it.

I cannot wait for K1000 version 14 to arrive so I can begin using my
OpticPro A320 from Plustek.

Kelly