[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanners again

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:59:06 -0700 (PDT)

Devorah, I use an HP 1210v all in one scanner that I got for free from
freecycle because the printer part no longer works. The scanner part works
great though and is much faster than my old Memorex scanner (which takes 90
seconds to scan the page and then about half of that for the light bar to
return to the beginning).

  I think the scanner is not the most important piece of equipment in scanning
though--the most important part is the OCR software. I use Omnipage 15 but I
don't think it would be very friendly to non-sighted volunteers. There are many
things in it that I still can't do via the keyboard (I kind of prefer keyboard
commands to mouse clicks). There may be ways to do it but in nearly 2 years of
using it, I still can't access many of its features from the keyboard.

  But you did ask from the point of view of sighted volunteers, smile

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Divided in Death by J. D. Robb

I'm an eBay affiliate, click here before you bid!
Click here for eBay!