[bksvol-discuss] Re: Same As It Never Was summer reading

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 03:56:41 -0400

Dear Anastasia, Cindy and Booksharian Friends,

Anastasia, I haven't read, Same As It Never Was, but in answering your question Cindy made some interesting comments and said it was good light summer reading.

In the category of light summer reading, I thought I'd mention Green Lake. which I think fits that category nicely.

Remember a couple of months ago when I offered it to Scot? I'd found it at a library book sale and because it had the word horror in the blurb I instantly thought Scot would want to scan it.

Wisely, he declined. I'm so relieved. It's definitely not in the horror genre which is his specialty.. A developing romance runs through out and it's more about some warped fringe characters at a summer lake weekend type get away place who do terrible things, threaten more bad things and kind of end up knocking each other off.

One of our stellar scanners scanned it for me and I had fun validating it. It's light reading and as far from Tolkien as it gets which keeps me in balance. It was recently added to the collection and in case anyone is looking for suspenseful romance escapist reading, a copy of the long synopsis follows my signature.

I'm about half finished with a really clean Bookshare copy of Mao's last Dancer, scanned by Amber and validated by Cindy. It's fascinating and might qualify as a semi chunkster at about 480 pages. The young man describes life with his loving, hard working, parents and 6 brothers in one of Mao's new, model farming communes. When he's eleven, he's chosen, by stoically demonstrating his flexibility as his hamstrings are torn, for Madame Mao's new Ballet company. His descriptions of his family's poverty, marriage customs, childhood games and pastimes, diet and political brain washing are riveting. I'm at the point in his story where he has begun to grasp and develop his potential. Eventually he's going to defect to the United States and become a world renounced dancer, thus breaking out of his family's generations long history of surviving just above starvation.

When I finish Mao's Last dancer, I am looking forward to reading, The Blue Bottle Club which I think NLS has but not Bookshare. Two of the active volunteers on this list have recommended it and I think I'll love it. I'd read Bookshare's copy if we had one.

I'm also on the fourth book in the Dark is Rising Series, a very engaging fantasy for older kids about children drawn in to a centuries battle between good and evil. Bookshare has this available in the five separate books, or as a collection. The quality of the omnibus is reliable throughout while the individual volumes vary widely in accuracy. If you take the 5 books as a whole, it qualifies as a chunkster of over a thousand pages.

We're in the process of upgrading and completing our 5 volume collection of the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.This is a treasure I'm so delighted to have had brought to my attention. It absolutely sparkles with originality, unique and likable characters and wit that doesn't quit. It brims with honor, danger, surprises adventure and heroics. and, did I mention it is set in a country very much like Wales? You can start with the book of Three and expect The Black Cauldron, the second volume, in a few days. This is a clever, uplifting, exciting series for boys, girls, women and men.

Needless to say, All of these books will freeze in place when Carrie lets us loose on the last Harry Potter book!

If you want to be on the phone tree so we all don't have to hover over our individual computers waiting for the big announcement, contact me at,

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Always with love,

Lissi

P S

It shows when I can't sleep, doesn't it?

Green Lake

Madeline finds love with a good man she would have judged to be too ugly for her consideration though neighbors bury dead things in their yard, parents fake a kidnapping for cash, bodies float in the lake, drunk teens don't take no for an answer and much worse is to come. Suddenly widowed and penniless Madeline is forced to move into her sister's vacation cabin on Green Lake. But instead of quiet and solitude, she finds herself immersed in a world of depravity, blackmail and--ultimately--murder. And what should she think of the tall and taciturn Native American who lives next door? From one of the most sophisticated novelists and utilizing the explosive mating of the terrifying and the deceptively prosaic, comes this hair-raising story of a most unlikely couple, who find themselves dangerously alone in a deceptively pleasant-seeming recreational community. Engrossing light book for the beach or a relaxing weekend.