[bksvol-discuss] Ranked Spelling RE: Procedure Question

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:53:55 -0400

Hi Nancy,

First, some mnemonics, which I hope might lessen the amount of tabbing
you're doing: while in the list of misspelled words in Ranked Spelling,
ALT+X reads the word in context, ALT+L or CTRL+G ignores all instances of it
in the document, ALT+E or CTRL+E takes you to the first occurrence of the
word in the book, at which point you can then use F3 and SHIFT+F3 to be
taken to the next or previous occurrence, respectively, of the word, if it
exists more than once in the document, and ALT+Y activates the Apply button.
Now, to clear up the behavior of some of these buttons: Let's say you're in
the Ranked Spelling list, and you come across a word that you know is
spelled correctly, so you press CTRL+G to have it ignored throughout the
document. You can now activate the Apply button if you no longer wish to see
that word in the list/to have the percentage of correctness re-calculated,
or you can just keep going down in the list; the Ignore All status on the
word will still remain, and the only way to cancel the Ignore All you have
just done is to either ESC twice out of the Ranked Spelling dialog (which
cancels all pending changes since the last Apply was performed) or to press
either ALT+I or CTRL+I while focused on the word in question in the list
(CTRL or ALT +I will set the word to be Ignored, but really, this Ignore
action has no effect on the spell checker and only reverts the word's status
to what it was when the Ranked Spelling dialog was first brought up). Going
down in the list, you find a word which needs to be edited, so you press
CTRL+E or ALT+E to be taken to the occurrence of that word in your book. You
make all appropriate adjustments, and press CTRL+S to save the changes, or
you just leave it, seeing that the word is indeed spelled correctly as
determined by more detailed context than just one sentence. When you ESC
back in to the Ranked Spelling dialog, all changes which you made in the
list either since you last hit the Apply button or since you last left the
dialog box this way via CTRL+E or ALT+E will now be applied (i.e., when you
ESC back from your book to the Ranked Spelling dialog, the percentage of
spelling accuracy will be recalculated, and all words which you set to be
ignored throughout the document thus far will no longer be in the list). In
other words, checking/editing a word with CTRL/ALT+E and then ESCAPING back
to the Ranked Spelling dialog automatically performs an Apply for you
without your having to activate the Apply button manually. So, to answer
your question, yes, activating the Apply button will permanently set the
word's status as Ignore All if you've set it as such before performing an
Apply, but no, you don't necessarily have to hit the Apply button after
every Ignore All status you set. You can if you'd like, but I usually don't;
I just go down the list, marking words as appropriate, because I know that
my changes will be applied when I encounter an instance when I must leave
the dialog with ALT/CTRL+E and then ESC back to it, and these periodic
applications are enough for me. I don't personally care that much about
having the words whose status I've marked since my last Apply still
appearing in the list, since that gives me the opportunity to reverse the
status on a word with ALT/CTRL+I if I should need to. While I could press
ALT+Y every time, I just find it to be some extra key pressing that I can
avoid; if I've set Ignore All on a lot of words without having to edit
anything, I might just hit Apply periodically manually to unclutter the
list, but that's just personal preference. In terms of the OK button, it,
too, applies changes; the difference is that it closes the dialog box along
with saving changes, while the Apply button saves changes while still
leaving you in the dialog box. I hit CTRL+S periodically to save as well; I
don't do it after every edit, but that's just me. In terms of knowing when
to exit Ranked Spelling and move on, I'd say that you'll know you're done
when you've reached the bottom of the Ranked Spelling list and have taken
care of every word in some way (i.e., edited it, ignored it throughout the
document, etc.). Hope this helps to clarify your Ranked Spelling questions.

HTH,
Maria
Skype: MariaKristic
AIM: MCKristic