[bksvol-discuss] Publisher List

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:39:08 -0400

There is another thing that might help update the list. When it first started we volunteers set out with the mission of finding safe publishers to report and add. Actually, I think it was Jamie in Michigan who actually started the list and her list was expanded to make that final safe publishers list. Somewhere along the way, though, everyone has forgotten to find these safe publishers. If volunteers would try to get back to finding them and reporting them that would help keep the list updated. On the other hand, there are so many small presses that exist or have existed in the past that a complete list of safe publishers will never be compiled, so there might be a better way to go. All we need to know is which publishers are the unsafe ones. We also need a list of all imprints that the unsafe publishers control. When that is done it can be assumed that if a publisher is not on the list then it is a safe publisher. Let me add a reminder too. This whole concept of safe and unsafe publishers was started in the first place because volunteers were upset at their submissions being replaced by publisher contributed copies and did not want to put the work into making a book accessible if it was just going to be replaced. I am sure that a good many of you know this, but I am stating it for the benefit of the new volunteers who were not with us when that happened. There is nothing wrong with scanning and submitting a book published by a so-called unsafe publisher. If a book is not in the collection then you may work on it and submit it. You should be aware, though, that it may be replaced at a later time by a publisher quality copy. Until that happens you will have made it accessible while there was no other accessible copy available. Also, remember that if a book is out of print and has been out of print since before the publishers started producing and retaining electronic files of their books then the publisher is not likely to ever add it to the collection. In addition to that, the publishers get to decide which of their books are added to the collection and there is no way to tell which ones they will choose not to add nor when they will add it if they do add it. So if you do not mind your work possibly being replaced someday and the book is not in the collection then go ahead and scan it even if the publisher is on the unsafe list. If you do mind that then there are nearly uncountable and obscure small presses out there that

are likely to never end up being contributors to Bookshare.

On 6/13/2012 3:32 AM, Cindy wrote:
block quote cited from mid:1339572736.80458.YahooMailNeo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I attached and sent to the volunteer list and to Valerie an rtf list of publishers that was correct as of Dec. 6, 2011 and that I'd downloaded in Feb. 2012 that indicates what's "safe." The publisher Valerie asked about, Thomas Nelson is indicated as safe on that list, though it isn't on my Word list of Safe publishers; I can only assume I didn't copy and paste the whole rtf list and but created my own list of sage publisher. or otherwise goofed. Madeleine, if you want me to send you the rtf list, or if you take it from the volunteer email list, maybe it will make compiling an-updated list easier.