[bksvol-discuss] Proper Scanning Protocol and Upload Formatting

  • From: Kane Brolin <kbrolin65@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:40:04 -0500

On 1/5/10, Mayrie ReNae <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Under the [settings] option for rtf documents (which is the
> format in which you'll be submitting your book to bookshare) you need to
> disable the "split long pages" option.  And always save this setting under
> your default settings.  If you do not make this change to your settings, the
> page numbering in your rtf document is likely to be inaccurate, different
> from what is actually in the book  ...

OK, that's why I am glad I found the scanning manual, even though I've
not yet taken the time to read it.  Two different friends who use
Bookshare (but who are not volunteers, as far as I know), told me that
books are to be uploaded in the format I used to scan them in--in my
case, with the .KES extension that Kurzweil uses.  So once again,
thanks for your help, Mayrie.  It's good to come into this new venture
without jumping to preconceived conclusions.  I don't want my effort
to be rejected, given the amount of time it takes to scan a
full-length book.

Cheers,

-Kane