[bksvol-discuss] Re: One Hundred Percent Accuracy

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:08:53 -0700

Hi Eric,

That is one of the things that volunteers have been asking for from Bookshare, accuracy ratings of books upon submission. I think I remember they were talking about trying to do this. Don't know when though.

Now, and I never thought of this, but I'm sure that others did. Those of us using Kurzweil to scan could include the accuracy rating given by Kurzweil in the comments section of the submission form. The Bookshare tools and Kurzweil don't give the exact same ratings, but they're close. Perhaps I'll start doing this. Hmm. Glad you asked about this. Might be a good idea to consider for submitters using Kurzweil.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 06:11 PM 4/22/2008, you wrote:
Oh!  Okay, you're talking about when you validate a book.  Okay,
got'cha.

On a somewhat related note, if we have a program at our disposal that
can do this kind of accuracy checking at the validation level, why not
institute it at the submission level?  Let the computer give the
quality rating of the submission.  Seems like that would eliminate
some of the challenges we've been having of late.

On 22 Apr 2008, at 18:02, Christina wrote:

Hiya, Eric.
When you are on Step Two and upload a book.  The final page is a
form where you can put in a long synopsis and an ISBN and pick
categories for the book and so forth.
Near the top, at least that's how it shows up for me, there's a
section for rating the quality of the book.  It tells you the
percentage of words in the book that aren't in Bookshare's
dictionary.  Of course, this doesn't include things like all proper
names or dialects.

----- Original Message ----- From: "eric troup" <yakkoman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >