[bksvol-discuss] Re: Okay, I messed up...

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:36:09 -0700

Yes, there is more than one kind of section break; though, I don't know whether ^b and ^% each select one of the types. By far the most common is both the end of a "section" and the end of a page.. Each "section" in word can have a specific formatting "style" applied to it. The other kind os section break allows the style to change, but does not mark the end of a page. There must be some type of document this is useful in, but I can't think of what. The only thing important about these two is that for a file with both types in it, if you use the usual find and replace technique to change section breaks to page breaks, it will remove all section breaks, but not put in page breaks. Absolutely the only reason I know about this is that one day the settings on the scanner that Carrie uses at bookshare got messed up and it started putting in both types of section breaks. Also, by chance, I found there is a work-around to this problem. If you start at the end of the document and tell find and replace to search backwards, it converts all the section breaks to page breaks correctly.

So, everyone can just forget about all this because the problem with the two kinds of section breaks will probably never occur again.

Misha

Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Jackie,

        I wonder if there are more than one kind of section breaks?  I know
Valerie has seen more than one kind when scanning.

        I do know that when I type ^b into the find box, and ^m into the
replace box, section breaks are changed to page breaks.  I'm using Word
2003, so go figure.

I just know what I do, and what it makes happen.

I never understand why.

Mayrie

From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Okay, I messed up...
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 11:31 PM Thought I understood a formatting tool, in the ribbon (don't get me started on that!) for a different book I am working on and need to keep a single reference of keystroke codes for find and replace in one place. I do have a "before" saved copy, but want to learn from my mistake. So that I have them all in one note, I am interested in:

Line break
Blank line
Paragraph break
Section break
Page break
Indent/tab

In short, I thought I could highlight a selection in my work and hit the style I had modified and it would only change that text, but it changed the entire document and I had done many more contextual repairs before knowing it had changed all my title formatting and indents.
Ugh!  This is most
definitely a learning process...

Thanks!
Valerie

list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.
--
Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride