[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Kluge

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:29:19 -0400

This discussion of kluge reminds me of something. I think the word kluge means what I would have called jury rigged. I learned the origin of the phrase jury rigg from a Bookshare book. The first book I ever downloaded from Bookshare was Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. That was before I got my subscription confirmed and I had to choose from the public domain books. After I got my subscription the first one I downloaded was a title called "When is a Pig a Hog." My choice of it was close to random. I had just gotten my subscription and I was scanning books available without knowing much about the search features yet and feeling anxious to just get started with reading something. I came across that one and thought that it sounded kind of interesting. I have often been accused of getting bogged down in semantics in my discussions and I suppose that sometimes I do because of a bit of a fascination with words. Because of that this book did turn out to be very interesting. It really does tell you when a pig becomes a hog and it tells you when a lot of things become a lot of things and it tells you about the origin of a lot of words and phrases. It might even have kluge in there, but if it does I have forgotten it. The phrase jury rig is a nautical term though. It seems that in the past when ships were out at sea they would run into storms that would damage their rigging and haphazard repairs would have to be made at sea until the ship could limp into port with its damaged rigging. Those repairs at sea were called jury rigging. It also explained why the word jury was used, but I for get what it said about that. I thought some of you might want to download that book.

"The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry." - Richard Dawkins

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com