[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Celsius/Fahrenheit Conversion

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:57:43 -0600

Cindy,

I learned it in the sixth grade when we studied the metric system.  The
reason I still remember it is that it's very easy to figure it back out if
you understand how they came up with it.  All it takes is a little knowledge
about the temperatures where water freezes and boils in both scales and a
little skill with math to figure it back out.

F:  32 - 212
C:   0 - 100

You have to add or subtract 32 depending on which way you're converting
because freezing is at 32 in F and 0 in C.  You also have to compensate for
1 degree of C equaling 1.8 degrees of F.

212 - 32 = 180
100 - 0 (of course) = 100

You could just as easily use 1.8 if you have a calculator to compress or
expand the number of degrees between freezing and boiling, but the trick
with 5 and 9 is easier to do in your head.  The reason the trick with 5 and
9 work is because...

9 * 20 = 180
5 * 20 = 100

HTH