[bksvol-discuss] Re: New BSOs

  • From: Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 15:47:05 +0000

Hi Larry,

Weird. It shows up fine on my side. I’ll copy and paste it.

Hi Roger,

Great question! We actually have a lot of books in the collection that just
need another round of proofreading, and not entire rescan. We're putting those
books into the checkout queue to make more books available for proofreaders,
and to clean up the collection and make it the best it can be. You're right
that there are also some books that are just awful and need a total rescan, and
yes, if you make a quality report they will be replaced. However, that takes
time and bandwidth, which we don't always have a lot of.

I realize that the phrase "BSO" is a little misleading in this case, since
you're just re-proofreading the book and not rescanning it, but I'm using it
for consistency. Many volunteers may not realize this, but I've actually been
putting BSOs with holds for certain volunteers on the checkout queue for a
while now. Those aren't actually rescanned, but they're books that a volunteer
came across (either as a member or referred to that book by a member) that just
needed another round of proofreading. That's really where this came from.

Best,

Madeleine