[bksvol-discuss] Re: Kurzweil and crashes and TTS

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:40:12 -0500

Regarding the problem of the scans not coming out well with the engines
provided for K3000, you will doubtless have to make adjustments, as you would
for any ocr program, omnipage or whatever. I don't use K3000,
so I can't help you with regard to where you go in the program to do the
adjusting. But these are the same engines used in K1000, and I've got hundreds
of scanned books that testify to the over all excellent quality
they can produce.If K3000 is like K1000, there are definitely scanners that it
won't work well with. They have lists on the kurzweiledu site, although they're
not exhaustive. What scanner are you using? 128mb of ram
isn't very much for an xp system running an ocr program with software speech,
especially if you also had other programs open simultaneously, so that might be
the source of some of your issues. there are also issues
with ibm via voice, depending on what other speech engines you may have active
on your system. The  usual suspect is eloquence. And apparently, if yo have
sapi3 on the system, you may also have problems when
trying to use via voice.
Regarding dictionaries, there is no large Spanish or other foreign language
dictionary provided. But I'm sure you can set K1000 to recognize various
languages. Which ones depends on which ocr engine you use.
Spanish is definitely one of them. Again, since I don't use the program, I
don't know where to tell you to find the settings in K3000, but I'm sure its
there somewhere.
Mary